This recipe for Moist Bran Muffins is simple to make! With just a few dry ingredients and a few wet ingredients this batter comes together quickly. It can then be stored in the fridge for a few days and pulled out when you need a quick breakfast or an afternoon snack for the kids.
Eating these muffins reminds me of sleeping over at my grandma’s house. I loved waking up in the mornings to the sounds of her downstairs getting breakfast ready and the smells of something tasty. This is the recipe she always used and I know you will love.
Begin by bringing the water to a boil. Once it begins to boil remove from the heat and add the buttermilk and baking soda. Stir until combined.
In a separate medium sized bowl cream together the shortening, sugar, eggs, and salt. Mix until smooth.
In a different bowl add the dry ingredients of flour, bran cereal, and bran flakes. Mix together until combined. It’s a lot of bowls I know but it’s worth it I promise!
Next, add 1/3 or so of the milk mixture to the bowl with the creamed ingredients. Mix together. Then add 1/3 of the dry ingredients and mix together. Repeat until all of the milk and dry ingredients have been added.
Add the mixed batter to a prepared muffin tin. Fill each section about 2/3 full. Place in a 400° F oven and bake for 20 minutes.
When the muffins are finished baking remove from tin and place on a cooling rack.
They are delicious hot with melted butter and fresh honey, or I think my favorite is some homemade strawberry jam.
Tips for Easy Buttermilk Bran Muffins:
- When you add the baking soda to the water and buttermilk it will bubble and expand so make sure you have a big enough pan or bowl.
- I usually bake my muffins with out a liner because I like the chewier edge it makes. Make sure you butter/oil your muffin tins well before adding the batter.
Other Breakfast Ideas:
Moist Bran Muffins
- 2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2½ tsp baking soda
- ½ cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ ½Tbsp salt
- 2½ cups flour
- 2 cups All Bran cereal
- 1 cup bran flake cereal
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- In a medium sized pan boil the water, remove from heat and add buttermilk and baking soda. Stir until combined
- In a separate bowl, using a hand mixer cream together the shortening, sugar, eggs, and salt
- In separate bowl mix together the flour, All Bran, and bran flakes
- Add approx. ⅓ of the milk mixture to the creamed shortening/sugar mixture and mix until combined.
- Add approx. ⅓ of the dry ingredients to the creamed shortening/sugar and mix until combined. Continue alternating between the milk and dry ingredients until it is all combined.
- Fill prepared muffin tins ⅔ full with the batter and bake for 20 minutes. Cool baked muffins on a cooling rack and store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.