Making this easy pie crust from scratch is a snap when you follow these step-by-step instructions. I will show you how simple it is to make your own homemade pie crust. Also, it also tastes better than a store bought crust. If you have never made your own homemade pie crust this is a great one to start with.
Step-By-Step Instructions For Homemade Pie Crust From Scratch
Begin by preheating your oven to 450°. Next, add 2/3 cup of shortening, 2 cups of flour, and ½ tsp of salt to a medium size mixing bowl.
Using a pastry blender, cut/mix the shortening and flour until it becomes crumb like.
Then begin adding small amounts of cold water, stopping to mix by hand. Work the dough together, adding small amounts of cold water until it holds together and forms a ball.
The goal is to add enough water to make a soft, roll-able dough while at the same time using as little water as possible so that your crust is flaky.
Transfer the dough to a lightly floured, clean surface or onto a pastry mat. (I inherited my grandma’s pastry mat and use it almost daily)
Begin by rolling out the dough. Place your rolling pin in the middle of the dough and roll away from you. Turn the dough a quarter turn and again place the rolling pin in the middle and roll away from yourself. Continue rolling from the middle out until your dough is big enough to cover your pie dish.
Carefully transfer the dough into your pie dish. Gently press down the dough making sure it is snug against all the sides of the pie dish. Trim any excess dough and pinch the edge to make a simple design if you want.
Using a fork, poke holes into the crust to allow the steam to escape. If you have pie weights you can omit this step I just have never bothered to buy any.
Place your prepared pie crust into the preheated oven and bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack. Allow the crust to cool completely.
Pie Crust From Scratch
- medium sized mixing bowl
- pastry blender or two butter knives
- 9" pie dish
- ⅔ cup shortening
- 2 cup flour
- ½ tsp salt
- cold water
- Preheat oven to 400° F
- In a medium sized mixing bowl combine shortening, flour, and salt.
- Using a pastry blender or two butter knives cut the ingredients together until the shortening is approximately the size of a pea.
- Slowly start adding small amounts (approx. 1 tsp) of very cold water to the flour mixture. Mix by hand and continue adding small amounts of water until the dough holds together.
- On a lightly floured surface roll out the dough and lay in a 9" pie dish. Trim the excess dough around the edge.
- Place pie weights on top of the dough or poke small fork holes through the dough to allow the steam to escape.
- Place prepared pie crust in 400° F and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove baked crust and allow to cool completely on a cooling rack.